Sunday, September 20, 2015

Avila's Knitted Autumn Dress

Autumn's beautiful vivid colors were the inspiration for
      this latest little knitted dress...

this little Autumn dress
was created for Avila,
our precious 3 year old
granddaughter
who lives in Atlanta...

 you know how sometimes
you have this visual idea of a project 
in your mind....

 for me..
this colorful dress was alive
in my thoughts~

and then it came to 
life in my sketchbook...
 
 bringing this little dress
to life on my knitting needles
was a pure delight...
 
 the little leaves are made
from a lightweight burlap
type fabric...
 
most people think that paisley
is an "old fashioned" design...
but I have always loved
paisley~
 
 the beaded accents 
were designed to give the leaves
a "paisley" effect...
(or at least that's what I tried to do!)
 
 and...
of course...
a little Autumn bird on a nest~ 

I'm so proud to say
that I used stash yarn 
for this little dress!!!
~
(of course, if I live to be 140, 
and use only stash yarn from now on...
well,lets just say that there will still be yarn left over!)

Pattern details--
yarn-
Lion Brand Cotton Ease
(they don't even make this yarn anymore!)
(I hate that too.. because I loved knitting
with this yarn!)
 
 Pattern--
I used the same pattern for this little dress
as I did for THIS dress..
~
(I made a few changes in the pattern 
to allow for a larger size) 

Happy Autumn to you all!
xoxo
Vicki

ps....
we've been burning the candle at both ends here at our house...
some travels, household chores, making jam (I love to make jam!), babysitting for our grandbabes,... and the list goes on and on.  In addition, I've been knitting up a storm -- more beautiful wraps coming your way soon!
 
If you've left a comment here on my last couple of posts, --- I promise you that I am coming to visit. I have saved every comment so that I could reply back or visit your blogs --- things will slow down soon and I will be by to say Hello and share the "bloggy" love... xoxoxoxoxo

32 comments:

DreamChallenge said...

Your stash yarn certainly worked up beautifully. Such an amazing work of art. Love it

DreamChallenge said...

Your stash yarn certainly worked up beautifully. Such an amazing work of art. Love it

Quinn said...

Such an adorable dress...it must be fun to knit for a little girl, and especially one so close and dear.
An art professor once told me that the paisley shape was originally based on the shape of a handprint that is left when you close your fist and then press the outer edge of your hand against something, If that's true, no wonder people like paisley - we're leaving our personal "mark" every time we use it! :)

cathy @ma vie trouvee said...

This is absolutely beautiful.... I would be afraid to let her wear it...maybe for photos only!!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Vicki, these little dresses are so precious-I know they will love wearing them-Happy Autumn
Kathy

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Vicki that is absolutely beautiful. She is going to be the most beautiful girl in the world wearing the love of her Grandma. Beautiful. Hug B

PoetessWug said...

What a beautiful little dress!!! :-) I can see all of the work, and all of the love you put into it! ♥

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I love it so much! What a lucky Granddaughter you have to have such a talented "GB".
Things have been busy here as well. I try to find time before anyone else is awake. It's 6am now, and I'm 'taking a walk' on my elliptical. Obviously working very hard...
All my best,
Andrea

Julia said...

That little designer dress is just adorable and your knitting so even. I'm sure your little granddaughter Avila will love the bright colors. Looking forward to seeing all your knitting.

It's been a very busy Summer for me too and it's already over. I'm still in Ottawa from babysitting little Daniel for two and a half days and will be returning home tomorrow after a week away while my husband and son are running the farm. Happy Autumn.
Hugs,
JB

Clare said...

Wow I love this little dress do much everything about it is just fabulous
Clare

Suzan said...

Avila will LOVE her adorable new dress!!
Lucky young lady!!!

Dorthe said...

Hello sweet Vicki, you truly have been working a lot, with all you are doing and creating .
So many happy chores, --and this little dress, is a beautiful proove that you are never sitting with idle hands.
It is beautiful for your grandbaby in the strong wonderful colours, and with the lovely leaves embroidered with pearls. Paisly I love too, and you did a most fantastic job ,creating this dress.
Wish you a lovely weekend, dear friend.
Hugs from Dorthe

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The dress (of course) is so pretty and the detail is amazing. I love the colors you chose. Hopefully, this garment, made with love, will be passed on for generations.

Sue Kosec said...

As always, just splendid work. Oh - and those colors????????? Be still my heart!

Great work, lucky granddaughter!
xo
SuZeQ

Cache-Mire said...

This is too precious! I especially love the little details, each like a special surprise to find. I'll bet she loves it :-) Hugs, Terri

Down On The Farm said...

Oh my GOODNESS that dress is gorgeous! I think we need a picture of your granddaughter in this dress! Blessings my friend!

Monica Baker said...

So precious!

Carol said...

The dress is beautiful and she's one lucky little lady ♥

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Beautiful dresses and the girls will look amazing! I've been knitting hats for the child hunters in the valley. Hope they wear them -grin-.

gigi knits said...

Doesn't make you feel so happy to knit for grandbabies . I always have a peace happy feeling when I'm working with yarn.
Your grandbaby is going to look so beautiful in her dress . And it can be handed down for generations to come.

Little Wandering Wren said...

It's gorgeous, Vicki and very pretty with the bright colours and leafy style, your grand daughter is very lucky :) This will be one to be kept to show her grandkids!
Wren x

Gracie Saylor said...

As yet I have never tried to knit or crochet a little dress for any of my granddaughters, but the dresses you have made are precious, and I like the idea of using cotton as it should be especially comfortable to wear. Thanks for posting, Vicki xx

Mereknits said...

Vicki,
You did a fabulous job on the dress, I just love it. I am glad you are busy in a good way, Grandparents are supposed to be busy.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

Amy at love made my home said...

Just too too cute!!! Hope that things ease up a little for you. xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would love one of those dresses - size 18 please. Seriously - what a sweet little dress and the thing that puts it over the top is that little bird and nest!

Noelle the dreamer said...

Absolutely darling dress and how I wish I had grandkids!
Sporting my hat Dear with the cooler weather and always packing it when I travel!
God bless,

Unknown said...

All of these little dresses are lovely! How fortunate they are to have such a skilled and creative gramma!

Tanya said...

ANOTHER beautiful treasure for a special little one. SIGH! Just gorgeous, my friend! I hope you DO live that long, and use up all that stash.

jeanniemc said...

Love the dress! Such pretty colors for a little girl..

Julie said...

A very special dress, the colours you chose are superb.

Esme said...

This is so pretty. She is one fortunate girl.

Cache-Mire said...

Love this little dress! Does anyone know where I might get a pattern in size 4T? I can only find it up to 2T and I'm not that good at figuring out the math :-)