Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer's Bounty - Salsa!!! (John's recipe)


I can't take any credit for this recipe - it came from one of the guys at work (John). We refer to it as "John's recipe" and it is the only recipe that I use for salsa - it is killer! I make it in the winter using canned tomatoes and in the summer using fresh tomatoes. I like to use both red and yellow tomatoes because I think it makes a beautiful salsa.


This recipe is at it's best when you use fresh garden veggies. The key to this recipe - what really makes it special - is the added McCormick Salt and Spice Seasoning. Unfortunately - they do not make this anymore - (don't worry, this will have a good ending - keep reading---). After searching in about four states and buying up all that I could find - I still have a nice little stash of about five of these left - and no - I won't share! BUT - after calling and bugging the McCormick people and sending multiple emails to them - they have finally posted their recipe for making the spice mixture. We have tried the recipe and found it to be true to taste. The recipe and link to their website is posted further below.

My recipe is written on the official stationary of nurses - a paper towel. But I have made this so many times - it is committed to memory:
4-6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes -(you can peel them if you want to - but I don't)
1 large green bell pepper
1 medium jalapeno pepper
1 medium sweet onion
1 T salt
2T McCormick Salt and Spice mix
1/4 tsp pepper
2-3 T apple cider vinegar





Process the onion and peppers. Process the tomatoes separately being careful to allow them to remain somewhat chunky. Mix all together and add the spices - I always do this to taste. You may want to add more Salt and Spice depending on the true amount of tomatoes and other veggies that you use. (When I make this in the winter time - and I often do - I use 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes instead of the fresh.)

The salsa is ready to eat as soon as you make it - but refrigeration makes it even better. Don't you think the red and yellow tomatoes make a beautiful salsa? Sometimes I like to also use a yellow pepper for variety.


Here is the recipe for the Salt and Spice Blend:
1/4 cup kosher salt
2T McCormick Seasoned pepper (DO NOT use regular pepper for this!)
1T McCormick garlic salt
1T McCormick onion powder
1 1/2 tsp McCormick celery seeds (crushed)
Mix all together and store in refrigerator.
Click here to go directly to the McCormick site for this recipe.


Everyone at work LOVE'S this Salsa. When I bring it to work in a huge bowl - it lasts about 30 minutes. They say one picture is worth a thousand words---


Just look at those smiles (and that almost empty bowl!)






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna try this! Looks delicious!
M

Anonymous said...

It does look delicious!!! I like to put chicken breasts in a cast iron skillet, cover them in salsa, bake in the oven, and when it is finished, I sprinkle cheese on it, place a dollop of sour cream on the top and serve. It's really great, but I bet it would be greater with this salsa on it!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Jody Hammer